Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mistake

So I have recently made a mistake. Here's how the conversation went: (A=Andy, C=me) (the day after the Pastor-Parish Relations Committee once again delayed discussing pay raises for our dismally-paid pastors)

A: Yeah, you know how Pastor Pam's tv wasn't plugged in? It's broken.
C: Oh really? Why don't they get a new one?
A: I think they can't afford it. They can't afford internet service either.
C: That's a shame, they have such a huge DVD collection and I know they're movie buffs.
A: Yeah, it sucks for them.
C: Well gosh, I wonder it would be nice of us to give them our tv? We can buy a new one.
A: We don't need a new one.
C: Yeah, I know, but we can afford it and it does look really small in that huge entertainment center. It would be nice to have a bigger one. And we sit so far back from it in our living room.
A: Do you think they would want our old tv?
C: Yeah, I imagine they would, it's a nice tv. And if we got a new one, we could ask them if they would like to take it off our hands, so it wouldn't look like charity.
A: Meh.
C: Meh.

So at that point, I thought, "oh, moot point, we are not going to do anything." But in REALITY, the hubby was trying to contain his glee as he hustled off to pick out his new tv online!! He called his Dad, he checked the sales, he measured the entertainment center for how "big we could go," and when I tried to put the brakes on, he said,

"This is not a conversation between you and me now. You said we could get one, I heard you, you said it. Now it is a conversation between me and my friendly Best Buy salesman. Or Circuit City, I haven't decided."

So we may have a new tv. I'm not super-duper excited about it but ehhhhhhhh. If I let him get it, he'll probably let me paint anything in the house the way I want instead of arguing with me. And I'm sure there will be other perks. That would definitely be his Christmas present though!!!! I was not planning on spending that amount of money this year except on improvements to the house.

In other money news, it looks like my company is going to pay for my parking (210/mo) in exchange for my loading/unloading the dishwashers in the two small kitchens and wiping down the counters every day. Pretty sweet, right? Since we are not pregnant yet I am trying to gather as much money as I can. Sometimes it's tough because I just want to stay home already to SEE my husband, but I know this isn't forever.

One thing that really bothers me--besides never seeing my husband and commuting two hours a day--is the fact that our nutrition is awful. We continually eat "out" or eat take-out. It's terrible. And I eat out at lunch probably four days out of five. My only healthy meal every day is breakfast. And since my butt sits in that seat from 8 am to 6 pm, I'm hungry about 3 and want a snack, so I go to the Baskin Robbins for ice cream. I can feel my jeans getting tighter, and I don't like it. And eating out so much isn't economical either.

I've also been having a LOT of frustration at work--came home the other day in tears. My immediate superior is great, but another person in the dept who is higher than I am has become extremely bossy and patronizing. I hate having to deal with that kind of crap. It's so stupid--why not just be nice about it? Really, what's the point of being a witch to other people? Perhaps my feathers are ruffled because I'm prideful. I may not be the highest-ranking person in the company, but I'm just as intrinsically good as anyone else and deserving of respect. We all are.

I hate being talked down to, I really do. It's one of my pet peeves. But Andy and I talked about it and my plan is to wait until I get pregnant, and then if I'm really sick during the pregnancy, I'll just quit. If I find it pretty tolerable, I'll stick it out until I'm 8ish months along. It's not necessarily a bad place to work--just one particular frustration with one person. I like everybody else, and I even like this person when she's not trying to throw her weight around.

Andy wants me to quit right now because he never sees me and there's so much to do on the house and the dog is always alone and I'm always exhausted from being gone 12 hours a day. But I don't know--I'm afraid that would 1) look poorly on my resume, and 2) make me feel like I weren't doing anything. Right now I am earning good money for the hours I work, and I am really hoping we'll either be able to enjoy the money or save it.

Andy's in the shower getting ready for church. We are slowly getting the smell out of this place; the more dust we remove, the better it smells. And this house is going to be so great when we are finished with it! Zillow has it currently listed as worth 75k more than we paid for it, and that does not include improvements like adding square footage (next project) by finishing the front porch and finishing the back porch to turn it into a bedroom. We are really hoping we'll be able to make back what we put into this house. We don't know much about home improvement so we're just plugging away and hiring people when we need help.

I guess that is about it for now. The sun has come out and it's gorgeous today--maybe I'll go take some video of our lake and post it? I think I am going to purchase the "Audio Tools" that go with the the video software so that I can create music videos. Would anybody else enjoy that?

No comments: