Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Blahs

I've been asked to update, so update I shall.

First, damn you, Aunt Flo. You are not welcome in my house.

Second, I'm lately frustrated with how MEAN Massachusetts people can be. I keep thinking I'm oversensitive but no, I'm not. People around here keep positive thoughts to themselves and anything negative has to be broadcast to the world. There is very little community, very little happiness anywhere near Boston and I struggle to insulate myself from it. It doesn't help that I'm a homebody at heart. I like warm fires, clean kitchens and fresh muffins. I want to sit at my computer and type from home after taking the dog on a walk around the lake. I don't like it when people are in my face, criticizing everything they can, and I don't like bullies. There are a lot of bullies around here. Boston's full of them, and it's pretty well-known. What a sad, pathetic way of life, you know? Blech! Sometimes I feel like I just want to shower off all the negativity with a good scrub and some fresh bath salts. It's so pervasive and it feels like poison to the soul. Perhaps a bath is what I need tonight, along with some positive thinking! Now I know why Paul spoke of a Christian warrior, with weapons like Scripture and the Spirit.

Third, we went to one of the strangest weddings I've ever been to last night. It was nearly two hours long and was a Methodist wedding that discussed GLBT's right to marriage in the OPENING LINE, then had Jewish, Buddhist, Islamic, and Christian blessings followed by a communion served by a rainbow-frocked priest to the tune of African drums and songs in an African language. There were only white liberals there. In fact, we were probably the odd ones out because we're conservatives. I'm really happy for the couple getting married--they're wonderful together--but MAN, that was a strange wedding to attend. I'm still chewing on it in my mind.

Fourth, I made a bumblebee-themed gazebo bird-house thing today with my friend Karen (from the Republican Women's group here in Boston, all 16 of us...). It was fun and the little house is a-dor-a-ble! We grabbed some lunch at Panera and came back and did our crafts and had tea and talked for hours. It was really nice. And now I have realized my new hobby is doing random crafty things for the nursery we're starting to put together. It's relaxing, creative, and productive. I feel like I'm actually taking pro-active steps toward Baby when in reality I'm just getting paint and hot glue all over my fingers.

This is what I made:














Fifth (who's really counting now?), the hubby and I cleaned out the front porch on Saturday and set up the laundry room as the office. It's not super-polished but it looks good, and I'm glad we did it. We also created a lot more space in the front porch to put our stuff when we finish the back porch.

Sixth (yeah, I'm still counting), I've been working on my cookng skills and they are vastly improved! I'm gonna start dinner here in a minute and start bugging the husband to do some tidying and/or dishes. He's been laying around reading his new sci-fi novels all day.

Finally, I have word that I may have some business thrown my way for editing and technical writing. I would love to get that going! It would give me peace of mind to know I'd be able to earn some money AND stay home instead of just assuming/hoping it'll happen.

I guess that's it. I'm off to make rosemary chicken with garlic potato wedges. If I screw up we'll order pizza.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Wow, I didn't know it was possible to make a mockery out of all the World's religions in one ceremony!