Tuesday, April 11, 2006

ChristyTime Rocks!

Oh, how I do love ChristyTime! Because I am cruising on my thesis, I am indulging myself with a private viewing of Mona Lisa Smile, complete with popcorn, blanket, and new couch. Oh, and dog begging for popcorn. I decided to watch Mona Lisa Smile because it has been on my mind quite awhile. I've been reminding myself of the collegiate women who "set up house" once they are married. That is exactly what I've been doing. I am even continually excited by the washer and dryer--right in our own house! No more laundromat! I feel like I'm both playing at being an adult and doing a really good job of it. In Mona Lisa Smile, the viewer is drawn to view the students as "girls," and then one day, they're married women with homes and hoping for children someday. The viewer is surprised, but the girls see it coming. Many of my fellow graduate students are still adolescent in the way they handle themselves and their lives, but my husband and I passed that mark quite awhile ago.

My popcorn is ready and I'm going to snuggle up and watch.

2 comments:

Nancy French said...

How was it? I saw that Julia Roberts later said that she didn't feel that her character in that movie was quite right in her views of children. I haven't seen the movie, but the revelation came after she had kids. She kind of apologized for making it seem that women shouldn't settle down and be moms. Does that make sense after having watched it? Is it worth the rental?

Christine said...

It is worth seeing! The thing is that she does act like women's having children is pretty well a death sentence, but she realizes by the end how intolerant she had been and how women may choose to have families or be lawyers or be artists and they're all still smart, wonderful ladies. Her love of the students overcomes her intolerance. I don't want to spoil it but it is worth seeing.

I think I enjoy watching it because I see myself reflected pretty strongly in a combination of Kirsten Dunst (huge wedding) and Julia Stiles (happy marriage, wants her family to be the center of her life, still smart as a whip). Julia Roberts' attitude is pretty representative of Cambridge! :) So watching them duke it out with her is amusing to me.