Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Just a Touch More Sugar

And my life will be sweeter. Things are getting better, and I'm starting to feel more clear. My husband and I had a talk in the car about whether the current division of labor is permanent or temporary. I want it to be temporary, as I'm in charge of the house. The way it currently goes is he works full-time and finishes up school, and I work part-time and finish up school. In a sense, he has two full-time jobs, and I only have 1.25. So, I'm taking care of the house and doing the laundry, shopping, cleaning, etc. It's fine for a temporary arrangement--in fact, it's fair--but when I found myself identifying with my mother's Ladies' Home Journal over spring break I felt frightened! The last thing I want is to wake up in 30 years and not know my spouse. The second-to-last thing I want is to work AND take care of the kids AND take care of the house for the next 30 years. Women often work far more hours a day than men, and thus resent their ungrateful lumps of husband fat. I don't want that. Anyway, my husband emphatically agreed that this isn't a long-term arrangement. Given our past conversations about dividing up the housework 50/50 (he feels as strongly as I do about it), I figured this was temporary. In the meantime, though, he's burnt out and nearly miserable. He's so tired. I want to help but I'm recovering from strep so I'm just going to try to continue picking up slack where I can and keep going. The one thing we do have is a steady, albeit boring marriage. We don't have drama between us--any drama occurs outside our marriage and we deal with it together. I did go to the grocery and make a pot roast today. I have more to do but I stopped to drink tea, as my head had begun to hurt and I'm trying to ward off more Advil. I only have two left in the whole bottle!!!

Tonight is my first meeting with the Evangelism Committee at church. I'm excited! I like everyone I know on it, and I'm honestly excited about both seeing them in a small setting and tackling evangelism together with them. I have some ideas brewing for 20s-and-30s evangelism and I am ready to get going.

Turned in a paper today and need to finish up my thesis by Monday. Icky poo! I'm so sick of school, but I need to remind myself that

this too shall pass (and no doubt quicker than it should). --one of my favorite quotes EVER, from Pride and Prejudice

1 comment:

Kait Nolan said...

What does it say about us that I decided to change my template on my original blog and picked this one and then came to your blog to see that you'd done the same thing?