Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (backwards)

The Ugly News: The Chevy is completely shot. No chance of fixing it and we're just hoping we don't have to pay to tow it to the junkyard.

The Bad News: I need a car within the week, and Massachusetts laws are awful. I have to get plates, proof of insurance, EVERYTHING, before I can drive a car off the lot. Before I get that done I have to choose the car to switch plates and procure insurance. It's a mess.

The Good News: A good girlfriend of mine is marrying a banker who, up until a couple of months ago, was the director of banking for Eastern MA and Southern NH for car dealership sales. He sold car bonds to the dealerships, basically, which means he knows everyone in town. He just offered to take me around to "his" dealerships--the ones he trusts--and will help me negotiate price and such. He said he will help me get something at or slightly above wholesale as well as getting me a competitive financing rate. This is great because I've been worried about getting screwed. I think, quite honestly, that he's taking pity on us. We've never bought a new car before and we're ripe for a big fat ripoff. Also, I'm singing in their wedding in August.

The Even Better News: If I buy in Nashua near him, I think I get to skip the MA laws about procuring insurance BEFORE driving off the lot. Woohoo!

No comments: