Monday, April 24, 2006

In Defense of Cell Phones

from a post I made on Townhall, in response to an article blasting the prevalent use of cell phones.

This sounds like a lot of baby boomer hullabaloo about the fact that the world is changing. My generation IMs, text messages, and calls while running errands. Is it entirely necessary that we give ALL our attention to what brand of pasta we put in our grocery carts?

I talk to my parents and family and friends frequently--iming and chatting on the cell phone whenever I'm doing otherwise mindless tasks and have something to say. Is this important? No, but neither is choosing squash or corn. What IS important is the connection I have with them, as I live halfway across the country from most of the people I love. My generation is necessarily mobile and faces long commutes because of the incredibly high cost of living in the city and nearby suburbs. We don't have time to spare to sit at home and chat on the phone. In my marriage, both my husband and I work to pay off our student loans, so all errands, housework, and chores must be done in a short period of time. Whenever it's mindless, we squeeze in our best effort at quality time with those we love.

I avoid talking on my phone in the car or when doing anything else that requires my attention. I always end phone calls before checking out at a store and if anyone requires my attention who is physically in front of my, I put my phone call on hold to give that person the proper attention. I try to talk quietly by making sure to have a phone with a good microphone, enabling me to talk in hushed voice quieter than I would talk to someone next to me on the subway. But, otherwise, I want to invest my time in people who matter. I don't want to pay attention to marketing or panhandlers or watching hipsters rock out to their Ipods.

So, for those of you who have the luxury of living close to family or close to your place of employment or have a spouse at home taking care of errands and chores, more power to you. But for the rest of us youngsters who face a tougher lifestyle than you now face, let us keep in touch with our families and friends whenever we can. We realize they'll be gone before we know it.

Oh, and as an aside, I know I'm not important--but my family is

No comments: